Monday, March 16, 2009

When Dreams Die

This afternoon, I finished the autobiography of Phil Vischer, titled, Me, Myself, & Bob. Was a very good book. I found out what lead him to start VeggieTales and the problems he had with it. It is the lessons he learned from the collapse of his company (yes it is still around, but not owned by him.) There is something I have thought about off and on for the past three years, and something that Phil said in his book, brings it to home for me. I know, I am dancing around the mulberry bush.

During my years in Dallas, I noticed, quite a bit, that I would but Christ on the back burner of my life during the day. It wasn't something I did on purpose, it just happened. It wasn't pleasing to God. My job became my idol. Three years ago, I felt like I was in a desert, spiritually, at least. I think it was God starting to get my attention. Let me share something that Phil Vischer heard on a sermon cd. "IF God gives you a dream, and the dream comes to life and God shows up in it, and then the dream dies, it may be that God wants to see what is more important to you-the dream or him." What was more important to me? My teaching job was. I said God was, but I think it was my job. I know my last year there, God was working to get me home for cancer diagnose that would happen in May 07, but I still think God let my dream die.

I am ready to now teach full-time again, and I have a new dream starting to form. That is to teach science staff development to elementary ed teachers. I do know that I need to get my master's and get back into the classroom first, before that can happen.
Father, i am sorry for making my job an idol. That was wrong and a sin.

I have started a new Bible study. It is the new Beth Moore one, on Esther. I completed week two's homework today. It is very good.

I have another dream, that God hasn't allowed to come to pass. I can guess at the reason why, but only God really knows, but one thing I do know, that at times, I have allowed that dream to become an idol, as well. That is also a sin. I am also sorry for letting that dream to become an idol.

Please be careful with your dreams. Make sure you are not allowing them to become an idol and replacing God with them.

No comments: