Monday, April 26, 2010

Today's CT Scan follow-up

I was looking at my papers in the envelope that had been on the fridge for today, and realized that I was scheduled to have my port flushed and maybe blood drawn this past Wednesday afternoon, and didn't know, so I didn't go. Oh, well. I was calling around this morning to find out if I was supposed to have blood drawn or not, turns out I didn't. I got to the hospital around 10. Around 10:30 I was given a bag of ice to ice the area of my port. I iced it for about 30 minutes and was called to have my port accessed around 11 am. Guess what? No blood return!! I was not expecting that. Nurse tried a different needle, still nothing. She even looked at both arms to see if she could find a vein, no way was she able to find a vein. She called and spoke of one of my nurses at the Cancer center. They were busy, but was able to take care of me. I was given the clot buster drug, and got back to the hospital around 1:30 and was done a bit before 2 pm.

I see my onc next Monday after school. The nurse from this morning, said to see about having my port flushed every 2 weeks. I will tell my onc that she tried to look for veins and couldn't find any. I even asked her to write a note to him. I'd rather go this mess, than try to find a vein and seeing if it would access or not.

No comments: