Saturday, December 29, 2007

Problems, Problems, Problems

Yesterday morning, I went in to have my blood drawn and to get my injection of Interferon. First, they take my vitals-blood pressure, pulse and my temp. The blood pressure cuff is usually put on my left arm. The nurse put the bigger cuff around my upper arm. The bottom number of my blood pressure and my pulse were 30 something. Not good. She took it again, but this time the cuff went around my lower arm. About the same again. She then took my pulse on my left wrist, the same as the machine. Then, she took my pulse on my right wrist, and it was much better. So, the cuff was put on my right arm, and it was much better.

Next, it was time to draw blood. I was given my usual glove full of ice to numb the area where my port is. The nurse went to insert the needle, but it didn't work properly, because she couldn't draw any blood. She called for another nurse to come over and to bring another needle. They took out the first needle and put in the second needle. That one hurt, because the area on my chest wasn't very numb anymore. After getting the needle in, they had to play with it. It wasn't working. After putting my feet and the foot rest down, so I was sitting up, not leaning back, they were able to draw blood.

I got my injection. The band aids don't stay very well on either of my arms. I take turns getting my injections in my arms. One day, the left arm is used, then the next, I receive the injection in my right arm. Hopefully, come next week, it won't be as difficult.

No comments: