Friday, July 10, 2009

3 Years Ago Tomorrow

3 years ago today was a Monday. That afternoon, my Grandpa Morton was transferred from the hospital to the Hospice close to our house. 4 days before Grandpa had a stroke, and I add a few phone calls from home telling me about Grandpa. So, on Saturday, July 8, I left early in the morning for OH. I got home Sunday afternoon, and as a family we went to the hospital so I could see Grandpa. Grandpa was on a ventilator, and that Sunday evening, he was taken off of it.

Tuesday, July 11, mom and I went over to the hospice after supper. She just had this feeling that she should go there. I took my scrapbook that I had been working on. I read Psalms 23 to Grandpa, and went through my scrapbook explaining the pictures on each page to Grandpa. Grandpa was breathing on his own, and while mom and I was watching tv (sometime between 7-8 pm), I looked over and could see that Grandpa's breathing was getting very weak, like he was about to stop breathing. I told mom, and she called to the staff and 2 or 3 of them came in, and we watched Grandpa while he stopped breathing and went home to be with Jesus. That was the first time I was with somebody who died.
We still talk about Grandpa. He was my third grandparent to die. Grandpa Sanyo died almost 16 1/2 years ago, and Grandma Sanyo will be gone 10 years ago this November. I still miss Grandpa Sanyo a lot. I do have warm memories of my grandparents, and I am thankful that I was able to enjoy them during my lifetime as long as I was able to.

No comments: