Thursday, May 20, 2010

Is This a But, God or a Yet, God?

The end of April I had a meeting with my principal, who told me that I should think about of going to younger grade, which I won't go younger than third grade. If I am back at my school this fall, I will start the year on an assistance plan. I've been on those before. He suggested I put in a transfer, so I did. Out of the 30+ elementary schools, I chose the top 21 schools that I like and numbered them. Who knows when I will hear about where I will be in the fall.

Last week, I got my contract for next year, signed it and sent it back. At school, we've been waiting for our numbers for next year, so people know if they want to put in an intraschool transfer or what. The district kept putting that off. The Board met on Monday and decided to lay off 84 teachers and other staff members. The union wasn't told in advance and the rest of us found out when we got Tuesday's paper. To top this off, the board is in the process of negotiating the new contract with the teacher's union.

My principal received our numbers yesterday and called a staff meeting after school today. My school is loosing 3 teachers, K, 2, 4. The K and 4 grade teachers have low seniority at the school and have to put in for a transfer, and have to also, while the second grade teacher can move to fifth for that opening.

A couple of weeks ago, my kids took the end of the year district reading test. Only 9 fifth grade students basically passed (over 70%), and 2/3 of those 9 are my kids. The other third is from my one partner's class, the other teacher, her highest score was like number 15 of the kids on the list. Isn't that cool or what?

Layoff notices have already been sent out. I have heard that over 50 have already decided to retire. I should know by end of month if I am getting laid off or not.

No comments: