Friday, October 06, 2006

Resumes

Did you know there are two different types of resumes? I sure didn't. And they are different. There is the Functionial and the Chronological Resumes. I have always used the latter one, and the style has been the same since I got out of college about 12 years ago. It did get changed a bit back in the spring and again this fall. The Functional onSe is hard. On that one, you do not list your work experiences at all. It includes your profile, highlights of qualifications, selected achievements, technical applications (aka...hard skills), and a quick listing of your education.

What are selected achievements you ask? You take a few key action words and describe some of the things you completed/did at your previous jobs, and giving the result of what happened. You do not even name where you worked. You can talk about a few of the projects you worked on, and other highlights, how you were successful for your company. You give both resumes to prospective employers. I had to write a functional resume this week, and it was hard.

I am learning about different types of interviews. Not all interviews are job interviews, but are researching interviews, referral interviews. You go in with questions that progress along Bloom's Taxonomy type of questions. None are to be yes/no type questions, all need to be open-ended (essay type) questions. The first ones can be knowledge, but you want to progess to application, anyalsis, and evaluation type questions. The last question one asks, especially if it is a referral/research interview, is who else do you recommend I speak with?

All of this is quite though provoking, really makes you think. It is harder for me, because I have to think outside of education/teaching, and more into the business world. My experiences outside of teaching, are inventory, retail for my dad-working our booth in the middle of the mall...craft shows, and 3 semesters at the cafeteria in college. Right now my questions I am thinking of are on the topics I know of, but I need to start expanding out onto other topics.

These are all skills I can use later on in my career after I get a new job. I can use them when going for a promotion, a different job later on. These are type of skills that are not taught to you in college or in high school, and should be. Interviewing skills need to be taught in high school and college.

No comments: