Friday, September 07, 2007

Quiet is Short Lived

I think the title of this post summarizes up my week. At times it seems like they do not know what it means to be quiet. In my opinion, I think they think quiet means to talk. Don't get me wrong, they can be quiet, but they just don't like to be. One thing, I have been doing is making them wait, until they are quiet in line, before proceeding to restroom, lunch, leaving the building. From my time in TX, I could keep them after school as long as necessary (usually til 4 pm to make them practice being quiet-we were done at 3:45 pm). We have been the last ones out, and they have to be outside no later than 2:40. School gets out at 2:30 pm. I do not know what to do to get them to stay quiet, for the lesson. When it comes time to work on independent work, they like to talk, get up, not work, play, etc. I warn them that when it is time to turn in their work, whatever is not finished, I will count wrong. Doesn't seem to phase them. What will?

I have to spend the most of the time on reading, which includes reading, spelling, grammar, language, and writing. 45 minutes is not enough for math. 8 chapters is supposed to be taught in math during this grading period. For science, plants is supposed to be taught. What aspect of plants? I don't know, I'm not told. I decide for myself. I am working on pacing myself. I've been trying to give them a bit of study hall time.

They seem to have to use the restroom every hour or less. They do not like to accept the answer no. Today, the principal said on the morning announcements, nobody is allowed to use the restroom by themselves, only has a large group, go as a class. I had a few who about had a conniption. I said we would go around 10 am, maybe before lunch, around 1 pm. They need to go before school starts.

They are messy. Brand new school, floor looks terrible. I have them clean, doesn't last long. Floor is all marked up. Putting names on papers, a crime. Currently, I am taking 5 points off, soon, a 0 and being thrown away. I tell them to head notebook paper a certain way, do not want to do it. Show their work in, a few no way. As usual, there are some who thinks they are perfect, refuse to accept responsibility for the choices they make. I moved two to face the wall, away from other people. It was a crime. One chose to chunk the rest of the day. Lord, I need to wisdom, on what to do.

If I do no spend time seating during the day, my ankle is swollen, and the back, at the hole is also badly swollen.

No comments: