Friday, May 22, 2009

Philosophy of Education week 1

To start I got an A in both of my classes from last semester. Time for a new semester and new classes. My new class started this week and it is an online class. I actually took this class 11 years ago, but it doesn't count, so I have to take it again. Was told up front that we have to give about 10 hours a week to this class. I am okay now with that, but wait until my other two classes start next month, and dedicating 10 hours a week to this class will be much harder.

My time to this started by not being able to view everything I need to view. The problem, my MAC. I spent time on the phone with help desk from the University and they said to download a certain program from the Internet and it should help. Guess what it didn't. Where I subbed yesterday, I was able to view the needed article and printed it up. I went ahead and printed up all of next week's articles.

I have to read articles, respond to a question and my views, then respond to other people's responses. At the end of the week, I am to send a reflection and self-evaluation of the week.

So, what did I read this week? My first article was about how the mayor of NYC had control of the school system and his control expires at the end of next month, unless the state lawmakers pass a new law to extend his control a few more years. There are still some problems, not everybody feels they have a say. But it was interesting.

Another article was John Dewey's belief of education that he gave over 100 years ago. I had to reflect on my pedagogy of education and compare it to Dewey's.

Then I had to read an article that compares Jefferson's bill of education for VA from the 1790's to NCLB. I learned some interesting things. It was good. Jefferson wanted VA to be divided up into districts like what we have today. Both bills mentioned curriculum, what should be taught, they are similar but different.

No comments: