Friday, January 15, 2010

Today's CT Scan

I started the preparation for today's CT scan last night at 10:40 pm, by drinking the first third of the yucky stuff. I took a 30 minute nap before then, since I was tired and ready to go to bed.
I was over at the hospital about 10:30, since I was scheduled at 10:40 for my CT scan. I was called around 11 am to go back. I was given a bag of ice to ice the area on my skin where my port is located. The nurse got the needle in, and my port flushed, but it would not return any blood. I called my mom, since she was upstairs visiting a friend. The nurse called over to the cancer center, and talked to one of my nurses. They called the doctor to order a dose of the clot buster. Mom and I walked over to the cancer center, and had to wait about 10 minutes before going back to a chair. I was given the sterilized needle, for my nurse to use, when she accessed my port. I was given the dose of the clot buster about 12:15 pm. I have had quite a bit of water, by that time. 30 minutes later, my nurse was able to get blood to return, and gave me a dose of heparin. I called my mom, since she left to have lunch with my dad, and I walked back over to radiology at the hospital. I got back just before 1 pm, and was done by 1:30 with my CT scan. I left the hospital 3 hours after I arrived. I will call my onc in about a week for the results of the scan.
I am not supposed to see my onc until May, but that might change after he gets the report of my port not returning blood and having to receive a dose of the clot buster. I have a feeling that my port will be coming out sometime this year, which means the nurses will get to have fun, trying to access my veins for blood and CT scans. That I will not be looking forward to.

No comments: