Sunday, December 14, 2008

Back in the Hospital

NO, I am not in the hospital, but my brother is, again! This is his fourth or fifth stint in the hospital this year alone. Since re received his feeding tube, 6 1/2 years ago, he has gotten sick more easily than before that time. Before the feeding tube, he was rarely hospitalized since he was a baby (he spent time in the hospital for awhile then.) I do admit he was in the hospital a couple of times after moving to the group home, but nothing like this past year.

He has an infection. The doctors believe this infection started in a kidney, then moved into his bloodstream. The worse part is, this infection is immune to a lot of different antibiotics. A doctor who specializes in infectious diseases is being called in to see about prescribing a much stronger antibiotic, to kill this infection.

I went after church and lunch to go and see him. My brother sure didn't act sick. I was told that he was very sick. I went into his room, saw him and started complaining. Why would I complain? I saw his hands in restraints. I warned my parents in advance, that if I saw him in restraints I would have a hissy fit. Don't get me wrong, I understand why, but I do not like it one bit. My brother can not express himself and tell us what is wrong, but being in restraints is a scary thing. I should know, because I woke up in in ICU on a respirator and my hands in restraints, a little over 6 years ago. That is another story for another time.

When he saw me, he became agitated and started moving around, and trying to get out of the bed. He got his arms tangled up, and the IV to stop working, and causing one of his hands to become blue from not getting any blood to it. They had to undo the restraints, and allowed them to stay off while I was there. They did try to put them back on, but he started to have a fit. (Such a good boy.) I read to him, and it was very uncomfortable to hug him and sing to him, but I did do that. When I was getting ready to leave, one person mentioned how well my brother obeyed me, and not them. He doesn't always obey me. They put him back into restraints after I left. Please keep him in your prayers. I will never be ready to let him go to Heaven, but some day, it will be his time to go home to Jesus.

No comments: