Saturday, November 02, 2013

What is Sarcoidosis?

  Sarcoidosis (sarcoid) is an autoimmune disease.  It can affect any part of one's body.  One can have flareups and then have it settle back down (remission).  But it can get worse and worse over time.  It is also a genetic disease.  I have sarcoid in my lungs (nodules with granulomas), in my lymph nodes with granulomas, and has been found on one spot on my skin.  I will found out the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, if it has started to affect my kidneys. 

  I believe that I have had this disease since I was a kid.  I have had a cough since I was a kid.  I got colds, upper respiratory infections, and sinus infections quite a bit.  Since I've had sinus surgery in January 2006, my sinus infections have not been as many. 

  I also believe that my brother had sarcoid.  Will be finding out in about a week, if my mom has sarcoid. 

   If you want to read up about sarcoid, go to www.webmd.com and in the search window, type in sarcoid. 

No comments: