Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Daniel 4

Tonight, was my Biblestudy, for the series on Daniel by Beth Moore. I am really enjoying this study. Tonight's session and this week's homework is on chapter 4. This chapter is about King Nebuchadnezzar's second dream, and basically it is written in first person by King Nebuchadnezzar. He looses his kingdom for some years, until he recognizes who God is, and that he is the ruler of the world. But what is so good, is what Beth Moore shares about this chapter, it speaks to me.

The following are my notes that I wrote in the margarins of the two pages covering the video teaching session. Some are things Beth Moore says, and others are questions or comments I write about myself.

Nebuchadnezzar stopped ruling Babylon, he allowed Babylon to rule him. I have asked myself before, what part of Babylon do I allow to rule me? You are probably asking, what do you mean what part of Babylon is ruling you? Today's Babylon is basically the trappings of the world. How beauty and self-image is important. Body size. How much money am I making? Things like that. How self-absorbed am I? I can get self-absorbed. We all can at times. Am I content with what I have, or do I need more to be happy? How often do I show mercy to the poor? Here is the Babylon mentality" "I am, and there is none besides me." That is found in Isaiah 47.

To help us change this thinking, we are chastised by God. Discipline by God. We are pruned by God. We will suffer, go through trials to learn a lesson, for God to be glorified. Here are some things I wrote about this. My areas of chatisement will only go so far, because God cares. That is why he prunes me. The idea of cutting back, is so that Iwill grow back and produce fruit. God allows satan to sift us, because we need something, in our life, to be sifted. This sifting brings us back to God. I am not better than anybody I have taught or worked with. Is there anything in my life that God needs to work on in my life? The following quote is from Charles Swindoll from a book he wrote about Daniel: "God's patience is geared toward our repentance."

Both of God's patience and discipline sets limits. I am so thankful to what God has been doing in my heart this year, and for the things he is showing me about him. More reasons for me to praise and glorify God.

No comments: