Friday, January 16, 2009

Curriculum, Week 1

I started back to grad school this week. I am taking two classes this semester, and they are both curriculum classes. One meets on Wednesday night, and it is called Concepts of Curriculum and Instruction. The other one meets on Thursday night, and it is called Trends and Issues in Curriculum and Instruction. When I think of curriculum I think about the objectives and concepts that I am supposed to teach. There is more too it, in different ways. I will be doing a lot thinking, reading, researching, and writing this semester. There are doctorate students in both of these classes.

Wednesday night, we started our final exam. Yes, you read that sentence correctly. There are three parts to it. We will do the second part next week, and the third part is due by May 9. Here are the questions I had to answer Wednesday night.
1. What is curriculum? (I had to think about both conceptual curriculum and operational curriculum. I had to give
examples and experiences.)
2. What is pedagogy?
3. In terms of curriculum and pedagogy, what educational purpose should the school see to attain?

This paper I wrote, I have to use it and comment from it in later papers. This was hard!!!

The night before I found out that i had to buy books for this class, get to class and find out there is another book I need. The bookstore didn't have the latter book that i need. I went to last night's class, and found out that I needed a book for that one as well. I came home and went to Amazon.com to order both of my books. My homework for last night's class is reading about Bloom's Taxonomy. I know somewhat about it, but I printed it up so I can sit and read it.

I like last night's class, will see how both of these go.

No comments: