Saturday, January 10, 2009

Faith Means Moving Forward

I bought a new devotional book last week, and started it on the first. (I love devotional books.) It is called Walking with the Women of the Bible A devotional Journey Through God's Word. It is by Elizabeth George. Today's devotional is called, "Faith Means Moving Forward"

"Abraham took Sarah his wife...to the land of Canaan." Genesis 12:5

"Oh, the heartache! Will it ever go away?" Perhaps these words darkened Sarah's thoughts the day she followed her full-of-faith husband out of Haran. Leaving Haran was bad enough, but going to the land of Canaan made it even worse! Canaan was 600 miles away from her family and friends. Abraham had announced they were going to Nowhere Land , as far as Sarah was concerned.

Just when Sarah was getting used to Nowhere Land, a famine struck. They had to move to Egypt-300 miles away! Oh, if only I were still in Haran, Sarah may have thought.

But backward gazes can be dangerous and impede spiritual growth. But how can we look forward and faithfully follow God when circumstances are bad? Here's a great acronym!

Face Forward. Real life happens in the present, and Gods blessings happen now and in the future.

Accept your circumstances. God uses the difficulties of life to help you mature and grow in Him.

If you're following God, you will find Him in all of your circumstances.

Trust in the Lord. God will keep you in perfect peace when your mind is focused on Him.

Hope for the future. God is a bright start who will light your path in the present darkness.

Dear God of Sarai, grant that such a one as I may see the good and bad and the faith to be bad...following Thee!

After I got done reading this, I knew I had to share it with others. It is hard to be content and have joy in your present circumstances, but it is something that we need to be. I am asking God to help me be content in being single as that is what He wants me to be right now, but it is not what I want. God's will is better than my will.

No comments: