Friday, April 20, 2012

Kidney Stone Fun

I was told for a year that I had a kidney stone.  Last Friday morning, while I was getting a CT of my sinuses, I started to feel nausea and then pain in my lower right back.  Aleve didn't help.  Mom took me to the ER that afternoon, and I spent 5 hours there.  I was told my kidney stone was 8 mm and above my kidney and I would not be able to pass it.  They gave me a name and a number of an urologist. 

    I went to the store on Saturday morning, and haven't driven since.  I was in pain. I called off sick for Monday and Tuesday.  I saw the urologist Tuesday afternoon, and he said I needed surgery, they would try to get me in as soon as possible and would call me the next day.  Mom took me up to school after my doctor's appointment.  Dad took me to school the next day and picked me up.  Got an x-ray that evening.

  The doctor's office called me Wednesday morning, and told me  I was scheduled for surgery on Thursday, the next day, at Western Reserve Hospital for 2:30 pm. I had to be there by 12:30 pm.  I had to have an x-ray before the surgery to see where the stone was.  The machine the doctor used rotates on a daily basis from hospital to hospital.  So which hospital had the earliest opening with that machine, they got me in.  It could've been up to a two week wait.  This machine is placed up to the body and a shock wave is sent through the body to break up the stone. This makes the stone easier to pass.  I was home by 6 pm last night.  I was groggy most of the night.

  I stayed home today.  I seemed a little out of it still this morning.  I got all of my grading done that I brought home on Wednesday.  My throat hurts.  My voice is still bad, and has been for over two weeks.  I lost half of it with this last sinus infection.

No comments: