Saturday, July 15, 2006

Funerals

Funerals are not for the dead. They are for the living. It helps them to celebrate the life of who passed away. I think it is also a way of saying goodbye, having closure. Last night was the calling hours for my grandfather. Today was his funeral. I was able to see all of my first cousins, except for one, and almost all of my second cousins. This is the second one in about 2 1/2 months for my family.
The funeral was very nice. Two ministers officated the funeral. Both family friends, who have known my grandparents for over 30, almost 40 years. Heard a few stories about how he used to be a pranskter, a joke he played on friends, while in Israel. His favorite joke he like to tell, how he graduated 8th in his class. There were only 8 in his class, when he graduated from high school. A few people stood up to share things about Grandpa.
I will miss grandpa. No more, will grandma say that, "We are praying for you." It will only be, "I am praying for you." Grandma is my only surviving grandparent. Both of my grandpas are up in Heaven.
Funerals are hard, but a necessity in life. I am very thankful for the people who came to the calling hours and/or to the funeral to pay their respects. Some came because of my mom or because of my dad. Some came because they knew grandma and grandpa.
Everybody grieves in their own way. Lord, I ask you to be with my family as they are grieving for grandpa. Please let us all feel your arms of comfort and support during this hard time of our lives. AMEN.

No comments: