Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My Grandfather

Last Thursday, I recieved a call from my sister that my grandfather was taken to the hospital. Turns out my 87 year grandfather had a stroke. He had major bleeding on the brain. He was put on a ventilater on Friday, thinking the extra oxygen would help his brain. A second cat scan on his brain was done on Saturday, and saw that the bleeding was worse. The doctor talked about taking the breathing tube out on Saturday, but wasn't sure if he would last the night, and with me making the drive up from TX to OH, they kept it in. I got home to my parents, Sunday afternoon. We went to the hospital for visiting hours, About six pm that evening, the breathing tube was taken out. We stayed longer, talking and visiting, til about 7:30 pm.
Sunday night, he was moved to another room. Yesterday afternoon, he was moved to a hospice. The hospice wasn't far from my parent's house. His breathing was shallow, and making noise while breathing. The hospice was a very nice place. We were there this afternoon.
My mom and I went back after supper. My mom felt this feeling to go back to the hospice. I talked through my family scrapbook to grandpa. We were watching tv, and talking. I kept looking over at Grandpa. I noticed that he got quiet, and told mom. She went out to get the nurses. One nurse listened to his breathing, and twice said, there is still a slight pulse. I think about five minutes after noticing that he got quiet, he had his final breath here on this Earth, and went home to be with his Lord.
I am so thankful, mom and I were there when he took his final breath, and that he wasn't alone. It is hard. He just didn't look like my grandpa. He took his final breath about 7:30 pm tonight, July 11.
The calling hours are this Friday evening, his 88th birthday. The funeral will be on Saturday. I alreay know that I will do a layout of dedication in my scrapbook about Grandpa. I am so glad that I was able to make it home for my grandfather's last days here on this Earth.

No comments: