Friday, August 01, 2008

Frustration: Teaching Certificates

I have received a few phone calls this week from NC, either a principal or someone from human resources. Each HR person asks for something different or telling me what I need to do to complete my file. It is like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Another part of the problem is that I graduated from college in December 1994. I went to school out of state, and at one time, I had three different teaching certificates. I've been trying to get my OH scores from the NTE, but because it has been more than ten years, they have gone bye-bye into thin air. Between all of the moves in the past 12 years, I have lost my OH scores.

I have nothing against the 2001 No Child Left Behind law, and making sure all teachers are highly qualified. But, there is something the federal government didn't take into account, people who initially took their tests and gotten their teaching certificates number of years ago. Maybe they took a break, or are changing states or what, and they need to get a teaching certificate, they need to have proof that they are highly qualified. It is really hard getting that proof.

May 1993, I took my first state test that was needed to get my teaching certificate. I took the secondary ed math one at that time. In January 1994, I took the elementary ed and the science tests. Did my student teaching in the fall of '94 and received my certificate in 1995. By the taking and passing the subject tests, I was certified to teach math and science up to 8th grade. I took the OH test in 1995 and passed the test. By taking the test, and having my MI certificate, I became certified in OH for K-8 and allowed to teach math and science up to the 8th grade. I moved down to TX in August '98. I took the necessary tests during that school year and passed them. With my MI and OH tests and passing the TX state tests, I became certified to teach 1-8 self-contained and math science up to the 8th grade.

Now, there seems like there is hassles in figuring out what I need to do in order to become certified in NC. My OH scores are gone. I have my TX scores. I found out this afternoon, I can request my MI scores. It will take about a month for me to get those scores, though. In TX, I was allowed to teach on a one year emergency teaching certificate, until I could take the tests and get my TX certificate. Don't know if I can teach in NC without my NC teaching certificate. I am certified in two other states. You would think that would be enough. I make phone calls, send faxes, and emails in trying to do what I am supposed to do. I am not being given all of the info that I need, so I am not completely understanding what needs to do be done. So, I am frustrated!

Can't tell if God is opening or closing doors for NC. He has plans to prosper me, not to harm me. (Jeremiah 29:11).

No comments: