Monday, October 01, 2007

Oh, What Fun We Had!

The fun started Tuesday morning. (If you haven't figured it out yet, I am being sarcastic.) I was taken back before 8 am. The nurse started pre-op vitals and stuff. She had to draw blood this time, and glory be! my veins co-operated and she got 3 vials of blood. I was praising God. Then she goes to start an IV in the back of my left hand. She got the needle in, but my vein decided to roll. She stopped right there and then. The nurse called down to the operating room to tell them they would have to start an IV. God chose to answer that prayer, but saying no, to my veins not co-operating.

I was taken down to the operating room a little before 9 am. I hugged my parents bye. In the operating room, I was given warm blankets and warm towels. These two nurses tried, right elbow, left hand, right hand, left foot. The anthesologist came in, he tried the right side of my neck. Before trying to start an IV, they would give me a shot of numbing medicine. He got an iv started on the left side of my neck. You never want an iv in your neck! It hurts! You can not hold up your head very well. Six days later, I am still sore.

I was taken to recovery around 1 pm. The surgeon took out the superfluous lymph nodes, just underneath the skin. I was given 2 drains. My mom has to dump the drain bulbs 3 times a day. They do not drain much.

Taken up to my hospital room around 8pm, little later. That bed was so uncomfortable! My back hurt! I couldn't move very well to get comfortable. I couldn't even move the bed up or down by the buttons until Thursday. I was admitted to the hospital, because the surgeon wanted to try to get my port placement moved up. I was originally scheduled for the port placement, October 3.

Had quite a few visitors on Wednesday. I kept asking the nurses Wednesday evening, for the Indians score, they didn't know. We didn't' pay to turn on the tv.

I got my port placed Thursday afternoon, the last one, by Special Procedures. The port is on my right side, in the upper chest area. That area is sore, do have a bit of pain there.

What else hurts? My neck is still sore. I have blisters just behind my right knee, due to the ace bandages wrapped too tightly around my knee. Thursday, my stocking was put on my leg, not completely or correctly, so that no pressure would be put onto my incision in the groin. The stocking caused blisters in two more areas. Those areas are a little below my two drains. It hurts to stand up, sit down. Sometimes it is uncomfortable in the recliner due to the blisters. By one of the drain areas, I feel a pulling sensation.

I see both of my doctors Wednesday morning. But it feels so good to be home! Thank you Lord, the surgery went well.

No comments: